Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg

I loved this book.  It was sweet and funny and a really quick and easy read.  Fannie's books always have so much heart in them.  It's the perfect thing to read if you are trying to decompress from something stressful (for me it was an algebra class), or a lovely book to spend a couple of hours reading on a nice afternoon outdoors.
The main character in the story is Maggie Fortenberry, a former Miss Alabama who has returned to her home town of Birmingham to sell real estate.  On the surface, it looks like Maggie has the perfect life, but things aren't always what they seem.  She is berating herself for a lifetime of missed chances, and feels like life is just not worth living any more.  You will fall in love with Maggie as she makes plans to leave a world she can no longer bear, and darn it if life just keeps interfering with her plans.  My other favorite character from the book is Maggie's boss, Hazel, an eternally optimistic midget who calls herself "the biggest little real estate woman in the world."  There is even a neat little mystery wrapped up in this whimsical tale of a southern belle who has lost her way.
This book is also a love letter to Birmingham and the state of Alabama (my home state, so I share Fannie's love for the place).   When Fannie describes the heyday of the city and those grand old houses on the hill you can almost smell the magnolia blossoms. 

Here's a link to a video of Fannie being interviewed about this book.  For some reason it wouldn't let me embed it for you, but I think if you take the time to view it, you'll see why Fannie is a favorite of book clubs.

I absolutely adored this book, just like I adore and admire the irresistably delightful Fannie Flagg.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...