Sunday, January 12, 2014


Mary Oliver is an American poet who has won the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.  She is the author of many famous poems, including The Journey, Wild Geese, The Summer Day, and When Death Comes.  Nature suffuses and sustains her work.  Her latest book is a New York Times bestselling collection of new and favorite poems, celebrating the dogs that have enriched her world.  Since I am a great lover of all things canine, and a big fan of Mary's poetry, this book was a no-brainer for me to pick up.

These poems illustrate the wholehearted devotion of dogs, who love us unconditionally, and in the process teach us to love.  Of course the best way to recommend this book is to let you see one of the poems:

LITTLE DOG’S RHAPSODY IN THE NIGHT
He puts his cheek against mine
and makes small, expressive sounds.
And when I’m awake, or awake enough
he turns upside down, his four paws
  in the air
and his eyes dark and fervent.
“Tell me you love me,” he says.
“Tell me again.”
Could there be a sweeter arrangement? Over and over
he gets to ask.
I get to tell.

This is a book for all of those who have canine companions, because as we all know, they are a kind of poetry themselves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...