Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) BodyHunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although Gay is a competent writer, overall I was a bit disappointed with this book. I expected a little more insight into what must be a difficult way for her to live--functioning in a world that is clearly designed for a different type of body. Her story was raw and honest, but I found it a bit repetitive and it got a little irritating to listen to her intellectualize her behavior but take no real responsibility for it, laying it again and again at the feet of the terrible rape she experienced at such a young age. And I do not mean to minimize in any way what a horrible experience that must have been. But, I kept wanting her to embrace a little righteous anger and use it positively in her life instead of wallowing in a sea of self-hate and effectively becoming a victim all over again.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...