Sunday, July 21, 2019

Victor LaValle's DestroyerVictor LaValle's Destroyer by Victor LaValle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Reading this, for me, was a part of the rich supplementary material that has appeared concerning the 200th Anniversary of the publication of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. The more I learn about Mary Shelley, the more fascinated I become. LaValle even has a note at the end of the book where he mentions the fact that Percy drowned off the coast of Italy in 1822. His body was cremated, but his heart wouldn't burn. Mary not only kept it, but is said to have carried it everywhere. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein only wanted his creator to love him and to find companionship. In 2017 under LaValle's pen he has rejected all of that and become the Destroyer trying to eliminate the scourge of humanity from the planet. Brutal and subversive...this is an atmospheric and topical read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...