Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Dance by Oriah Mountain Dreamer



Oriah Mountain Dreamer's "The Invitation"was very popular on a lot of inspirational web sites and was passed around on a lot of emails. I don't remember how I came across it, but when I did, it made me curious about her writing...so when I saw this book advertized, I wanted to read it.


The best way to give you a taste of what her writing is like is to repeat "The Invitation" here:


"It doesn't interest me what you do for a living


I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.


It doesn't interest me how old you are


I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love


for your dreams


for the adventure of being alive.


It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon...


I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow


if you have been opened by life's betrayals


or have become shrivelled and closed


from fear of further pain.


I want to know if you can sit with pain


mine or your own


without moving to hide it


or fade it


or fix it.


I want to know if you can be with joy


mine or your own


if you can dance with wildness


and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your


fingers and toes


without cautioning us to


be careful


be realistic


to remember the limitations of being human.


It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me


is true.


I want to know if you can


disappoint another


to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal


and not betray your own soul.


If you can be faithless


and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see Beauty


even when it is not pretty


every day.


And if you can source your own life


from its presence.


I want to know if you can live with failure


yours and mine


and still stand on the edge of the lake


and shout to the silver of the full moon,


"Yes."


It doesn't interest me


to know where you live or how much money you have.


I want to know if you can get up


after a night of grief and despair


weary and bruised to the bone


and do what needs to be done


to feed the children.


It doesn't interest me who you know


or how you came to be here.


I want to know if you will stand


in the center of the fire


with me


and not shrink back.


It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom


you have studied.


I want to know what sustains you


from the inside


when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone


with yourself


and if you truly like the company you keep


in the empty moments."


I guess what I like most about her writing is that she tries to challenge you to live with passion, energy, and honesty. She believes that sometimes happiness gets buried beneath the clutter of our harried lives. She tells some stories from her own experience and encourages us to slow down and return to the sacred emptiness, where we encounter our true self.


Though some of her writing at times seems to border on New Age spirituality, she herself has been an outspoken critic. She says she doesn't like sloppy thinking, a refusal to ask questions, or an easy acceptance of things we cannot know to be true because we find them comforting or far more entertaining than our everyday lives, and she sees too much of all of this in some New Age philosophies and groups and thinks it is dangerous. And yet she does write under the name Oriah Mountain Dreamer (which she took when she was studying and participating in shamanic ceremonies, it means "one who likes to push the edge) and gets some of her wisdom from a group of elders that appear to her in her dreams that she calls "the grandmothers"...so she is obviously a woman of great contradictions.


Her writing seems to me to be an interesting mix of spirituality, inspiration, love of poetry and nature, sprinkled with self deprecating humor as well as an acceptance of life's absurdities. I am usually turned off by New Age type stuff and yet I find myself charmed by her openness and disarming way of baring her own hurts and blunders in her stories. She doesn't pretend to have all the answers, but instead tries to show us how to live the questions. That I like.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...