Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky

Jack Prelutsky is the nation's first Children's Poet Laureate. He has been writing poetry for children for over forty years.

I have talked to many kids that come in and out of my library about poetry. Many of them think they don't like it. But I have never met any kid yet (nor adult for that matter) that didn't like Jack's poetry.

In this book, Jack shares with kids a little background about his life, and how he gets ideas and creates his wonderfully funny and charming poems. He gives kids good tips and techniques concerning the writing process. But the best thing he does in this book is show them how to use their imagination to turn ideas into poems.

The first thing he admits, is that he was not the best-behaved little boy in the world. In fact, I dare say after reading about the escapades of Jack and his brother, he was one of those kids that really try the patience of their parents sorely. I probably would have throttled him if he were mine. But he turns these experiences about family and pets and friends into the most delightful poems.

As an example, here's one he wrote about his father and some of the whacky things he did to him as a boy:

I Wonder Why Dad is So Thoroughly Mad

I wonder why Dad is so thoroughly mad,
I can't understand it at all,
unless it's the bee still afloat in his tea,
or his underwear, pinned to the wall.

Perhaps it's the dye on his favorite tie,
or the mousetrap that snapped in his shoe,
or the pipeful of gum that he found with his thumb,
or the toilet, sealed tightly with glue.

It can't be the bread crumbled up in his bed,
or the slugs someone left in the hall,
I wonder why Dad is so thoroughly mad.
I can't understand it at all.

This is a book that will appeal to all ages. I took it with me to a Literary Society meeting with teenagers and young adults, and they all loved it too. If you are a poet, or want to be a poet, or just want to spend some time laughing and reliving childhood, this book is a good resource.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...