Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

This book was written in 2003, and we read it as part of our book club selections awhile back. It was a very fast paced, excellent thriller, that I found very atmospheric, and I loved all the twists and turns of the plot line. The story takes place in 1954 in a psychiatric hospital on Shutter Island. U. S. Marshalls investigate the disappearance of a patient who had committed multiple murders. The book is very gothic in tone, but I thought it was one of our better book club selections.

What makes me think of it now, and offer it up as a good read, is this trailer just posted for the movie coming out in October. I'm looking forward to the movie, as I very much enjoyed the book. The movie will be directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio (one of the most talented young actors on the scene today, and someone who I always try to catch in whatever role he is currently playing). It looks like the film is going to do a very good job of capturing the mood or feel of the book. But I do advise you to read the book first, before you see the film. You'll enjoy the book and it will no doubt enhance the film experience for you.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...