Thursday, June 18, 2020

BurnBurn by Patrick Ness
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I love dragons, so I look for any excuse to read about them. I read Eoin Colfer's book "Highfire," and when I heard about this one by Ness I was primed to read it. His book "A Monster Calls," is one of my all time favorites. The setting is 1950s America against the backdrop of the cold war. Dragons exist and an uneasy truce has been in place for hundreds of years. Sixteen year old Sarah has lost her mother and her father hires a dragon to clear some fields to keep their farm going. Her parents were in a mixed marriage and she's in love with a local Japanese boy. From there the plot gets more complex with end of the world prophecies, young assassins and cults that worship dragons. Ness is very good juggling all this. Romance and relationships make a nice juxtaposition to the action involved.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Patricia Sankey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...