Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in CrisisHillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had read a lot about this book before I ever actually read it, and I found it quite different than what I expected. I did think it made some interesting points. He talked about our culture today as being one that encourages social decay instead of counteracting it, and lamented the fact that too many young men he felt were immune to hard work. And he thought there was a feeling that you have little control over your life and therefore a willingness to blame everyone but yourself. I did, however, disagree with several things he mentioned--some political and some social. It was written from a very anecdotal viewpoint...which I wasn't expecting--not that I thought it would be a sociological treatise or anything. Book Club will be discussing this title this month, so it will be interesting to hear everyone else's point of view.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...