Thursday, August 2, 2018

Natchez Burning (Penn Cage, #4)Natchez Burning by Greg Iles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At 791 pages, this is a big book--and as it unfolds it tells a gritty story of lies and deceit, treachery and bravery, all with a vibrant backdrop of history. It has scope and passion and the writing is good. The themes of race, violence, anger, amidst the Deep South has whispers of Faulkner and Wolfe. It is the first of a trilogy that is fast becoming a classic. It is the first I've read of Iles, but I will undoubtedly continue this fascinating journey. Some people have said it is a bit repetitive, but the writing is of such a caliber that I didn't think so. If someone tells the story well, I'm right along for the ride no matter how many pages it takes. It is truly an amazing piece of popular fiction.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...