Thursday, August 2, 2018

No Time to Spare: Thinking About What MattersNo Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters by Ursula K. Le Guin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have long admired Le Guin's Earthsea fantasy series. When I saw a quote from this book concerning our cultural perceptions of fantasy--"The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is 'escapism' an accusation of?"--it made me want to read the ruminations of a varied writer and deep thinker in her eighth decade. I knew from her background--she grew up in a household of anthropologists, views the dominant socio-political American system as problematic, and ideas of anarchism and taoism appear in her work--that her views would be sharp, opinionated, and erudite. Even when she's talking about her cat she is always rigorous in her examination and discourse. Our current society is one that doesn't necessarily value its elders, so it was interesting to read the thoughts of a woman who continues to fight invisibility and will always stand out with her intelligence and wit.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...